Overview of Operations
The Micro Business and Individual Unit (Micro Unit) acts as a community-based financial institution. It provides business loans to micro/small businesses and business start-ups, and educational loans to individuals who are in need of funds for school entrance fees and other educational expenses.
Small Loans to a Large Number of Micro Businesses
- Loans have been disbursed to 0.88 million businesses.
- The average loan balance per business is 6.98 million yen, most of which were small loans.
- Approximately 90% of borrowers are businesses with nine or fewer employees, and approximately half are sole proprietorship.
Safety Net Financing
- Micro Unit provides Safety Net Loans to support micro/small enterprises experiencing in finance difficulties because of a changing business environment.
- Through loans and other means, Micro Unit supports the rehabilitation and reconstruction of micro/small businesses that have suffered damage at times of disaster such as earthquakes, typhoons and heavy snowfalls.
Supporting Business Start-ups and Business Reconstruction
- The number of loans disbursed to business start-ups (consisting of those that have yet to start and those that are within 1 year of start-up) reached 28,392 a year. It is estimated that about 96,000 jobs were created annually as a result.
- Micro Unit supports businesses engaged in innovative businesses through Capital Subordinated Loans.
- Supports business revitailization and succession of micro businesses.
Supporting Social Businesses and Overseas Expansion, etc.
- Micro Unit supports businesses engaged in social businesses to solve social issues.
- Micro Unit supports micro/small businesses trying to expand overseas.
Collaboration with Chambers of Commerce and Industry, Societies of Commerce and Industry, and Environmental Health Trade Associations, etc.
- Micro Unit works in close collaboration with such organizations as Chambers of Commerce and Industry, Societies of Commerce and Industry, and Environmental Health Trade Associations to support the financial improvement of micro/small businesses, and help maintain or improve the sanitation level of environmental health-related businesses.
- Micro Unit collaborates with Approved Management Innovation Support Organizations with high specialty such as tax accountant, certified public accountant and SME management consultant.
- Micro Unit proactively collaborates with regional financial institutions.
Support through Educational Loans, etc.
- Approximately 120,000 Educational Loans are disbursed each year.