Overview of Operations
The Micro Business and Individual Unit (Micro Unit) acts as a community-based financial institution. It provides business loans to micro/ small businesses and business start-ups, and educational loans to individuals who are in need of funds for school entrance fees and other educational expenses.
Small Loans to a Large Number of Micro Businesses
- Loans have been made to 0.95 million businesses.
- The average loan balance per business is 6.66 million yen.
- Approximately 90% of borrowers are businesses with nine or fewer employees, and approximately 40% are sole proprietorship.
Safety Net Financing
- The Micro Unit provides Safety-net Loans to support micro/small enterprises experiencing financing difficulties because of a changing business environment.
- Through loans and other means, the Micro Unit supports the rehabilitation and reconstruction of micro/small businesses that have suffered damage at times of disaster such as earthquakes, typhoons and heavy snowfalls.
Supporting Business Start-ups
- The number of loans made to business start-ups (consisting of those that have yet to start and those that are within 1 year of start-up) reached approximately 20,000 a year.
- It is estimated that about 77,000 jobs were created annually as a result.
Supporting Overseas Expansion, Social Businesses, Business Reconstruction, etc.
- The Micro Unit supports micro/small businesses trying to expand overseas.
- The Micro Unit supports innovative new businesses through subordinated and capital loans (from March 2013).
- The Micro Unit supports "social businesses (NPOs, etc.)" which are engaged in solving community issues.
- The Micro Unit supports micro/small businesses as they work to recover.
Collaboration with Chambers of Commerce and Industry, Societies of Commerce and Industry, and Environmental Health Trade Associations
- The Micro Unit works in close collaboration with such organizations as Chambers of Commerce and Industry, Societies of Commerce and Industry, and Environmental Health Trade Associations to support the financial improvement of micro/small businesses, and help maintain or improve the sanitation level of environmental health-related businesses.
- The Micro Unit collaborates with regional financial institutions.
Support through Educational Loans, etc.
- Approximately 110,000 Educational Loans are made each year.